Thursday, June 7, 2012

Choose Hope


Hope is a deep word. It defines not just a feeling, but a belief system. What you feel about hope can change your whole outlook on life. Hope can literally keep you going when all feels lost, or drive you insane as you maintain unrealistic beliefs about the future.

So why hope? And what is this blog about anyway?

On March 12, 2009 my whole life changed when I was arrested and subsequently sent to prison with a 17-45 year sentence (which I am currently serving). At that point in my life, I think it's safe to say that I felt utterly hopeless. I had lost everything: Family, friends, job, all material possessions, respect of others, etc. I had no way of seeing a future for me. 

This blog is not to talk about why I went to prison, or what my life was like before prison though. I started this blog (with the help of a friend) to talk about hope. Not just hope of course, but life in general. 

Prison has a way of tearing you down and making you feel less human. But people in prison are humans too. We have ideas and thoughts to share about life, politics, religion, psychology, human interests, and of course, life behind bars. It's a different world in here and my hope is that by blogging about life I'll be able to share the hope that can be found even in a hopeless environment.

I realize that some people believe that all criminals should be locked up, with the key melted down into a pin that permanently locks the door. If that's you, this blog isn't for you. But if you believe that people in prison deserve a chance at redemption, at reconciliation, at forgiveness, then read on. 

I hope that by reading this blog you'll find compassion for those who made some poor choices in their lives, but who want to redeem themselves to their loved ones and society.
Choose hope with me, because once you choose hope, anything is possible.