Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas in Prison

This past Sunday, the volunteer who came in to preach in our chapel service asked me before service started, "So, how do guys in prison celebrate Christmas?" Perhaps too quickly, I replied, "We don't like to think about Christmas, or any holiday." 

The bitter truth is that every day throughout the year it is difficult to be away from family, but on holidays it is especially difficult. For me, even Christmas songs and movies I used to love have become something I avoid because they are a painful reminder of better times with my kids. They are also a reminder of my failures as a father, husband, and son. 


There are no decorated Christmas trees or lights in prison, no caroling or spiced cider, no festive gifts, and definitely no Christmas cheer. No matter how prisoners choose to celebrate (or not) the holidays though, be it a special cook-up, calls home, or a precious visit from a loved one sacrificing their own celebrations, this time of year can still hold joy and hope for those who choose to find these gifts. 


For some prisoners, it's another holiday away from family, but also one closer to going home. For others, it might be simply the end of a touch year with hope for something positive in the New Year.

My choice is to embrace the memories of better times with my kids, even through the pain of broken relationships, for the joy these memories hold and for the hope they give me for future memories of holidays with those I love.


May your holidays be filled with beautiful memories made with your loved ones. Merry Christmas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here