Saturday, July 16, 2016

One Critical Key to Successful Habit Change

I recently finished reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. In this book he claims that one important element of habit formation, really habit change, is harnessing the power of group dynamics. According to Duhigg the persistence of habit change is greatly enhanced when one first believes in his or her own ability to change and then surrounds himself or herself with people who likewise share in this desire and belief in change. 

This use of group dynamics is not a new concept. Weight Watchers has capitalized on it for decades. It is also, as researchers have recently discovered, the key to success in twelve-step programs like Alcoholics Anonymous. Even religion has reinforced faith for centuries using the power of assembling like-minded followers on a weekly basis. 


I do not know if the success of group support for habit change is because of the added motivation of other travellers on the same journey or because of the increase in fear of shame from failing that one feels by involving others. I suppose it could be a combination of both. 


Nevertheless, as I read Duhigg's book I wondered how the concepts could be applied in the prison setting. Frankly, I think that is exactly the reason why I was assigned to read this book by a Calvin College professor in the first place. How can I personally apply these principles, and how can I affect change in my prison community with these concepts?


From a personal perspective, the idea of changing habits in my life that have either been unhelpful or have had a direct influence in leading me to prison becomes even more urgent and important in my continued growth. Applying the power of group support means searching out and surrounding myself with other men in prison who hold the same desire and belief in change. To me it also means finding "supporters" outside of prison who will believe in my ability to change and who have the desire to see that change in my life. It even means finding people who have already travelled the path I am on who will encourage me. 


Affecting change within the prison community is a little more difficult. The level of apathy and complete hopelessness, or worse yet the denial in believing one needs to change are difficult hurdles to overcome. As with any change, however, it is important to start where one is able. I may not be able to change the culture of prison, but I can work to change the content of a conversation. I can seek out like-minded men who may only be like-minded in one way and build on that. I can work to change the negative attitudes around me by exuding a spirit of gratefulness.


Sometimes group dynamics happen organically and quickly. Other times, and I would argue more sustainably, it happens intentionally and grows slowly. The key is to be intentional and consistent so others will want to become a part of the change they see in me.


Let me ask you: In what ways has a group positively affected change in your life? Is there a habit that needs to be changed in your life that would benefit from the power of group support? What is keeping you from starting today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here