Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Is Prison a Cemetery or a Monastery?

Since coming to prison eight years ago, nearly all of my former friends and even some of my family have disappeared from my life. While I'd like to tell you that this is an exceptional case, the fact is that most prisoners who serve more than a couple of years experience this mass-exodus. At times it can feel like I've been buried and forgotten.
But prison doesn't have to be a cemetery. I have formed some surprising friendships, both of prisoners and complete strangers. My best friend Tom is another prisoner, who (sadly) is housed in another prison. I have also met mothers and family members of other prisoners through my blog, and I've met large-hearted, caring people through prison ministries and organizations. I even write a few complete strangers who have become friends through correspondence.
No, prison doesn't have to be a cemetery. It is often very isolating and lonely, but with the right perspective, prison can by a monastery. Separated from the daily hubub of America's frenetically paced lifestyle, prison affords the structure and time to build lasting and beneficial spiritual disciplines in one's life. In the late 1700's prisons were called penitentiaries because offenders were given a Bible and put in solitude to contemplate and repent from their wrongs.
Now people in the free world might envision prison as a giant babysitting machine with prisoners spending their time working out, playing cards and chess, and watching far too much TV. This picture is not far from the truth. But just like those in the free-world, prisoners too have choices on how they spend some of their time. Those who are committed to reforming their thinking and behavior start by treating prison like a monastery and intentionally building disciplines into their lives. These disciplines might include: reading transformational books and spiritual books, daily prayers and devotionals, fasting, meditation and contemplation, giving, study groups, exercise regiments, and many others.
Whether prison is one's cemetery or one's monastery depends on what one makes it. I might be forgotten by many people, but I'm not dead yet. I'm just sequestered for now.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent points you make, Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that God will help me to have the same heart/attitude when I am incarcerated. Thanks for your sharing brother. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment here