Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Michigan Prison News Briefs

If I'm being frank with you, my readers, I've been feeling a bit out of touch with things lately. I've stopped watching the news because it's nothing but doom and gloom. So, I've no idea what is really happening in the nation and world right now. I've also been quite busy with school, a new job as a vocational trades tutor, and a few other things that have kept my hand to the plow, so to speak. In short, I normally keep my ear to the ground for noteworthy news, interesting stories, or hot button topics to talk about in this blog. This week, though, I'll just note some brief things of interest. 

This week at MTU, the school building will be shut down for two days as the prison administration partners with the Secretary of State's office and generates state ID cards for all prisoners who have an out-date (they will eventually parole). Rather than prisoners waiting until they parole to get their IDs, they'll parole with one in hand. The MDOC will also be obtaining vital documents (birth certificates and social security cards) for these prisoners at the same time. This should make the parole transition a bit easier. I am unsure if the department will be doing this statewide at this time. 

The Michigan Prisoner Rehabilitation Credit Act (www.mprca.info) was unable to collect enough signatures to put the petition for restoration of good time on the ballot due to the coronavirus pandemic. Nevertheless, I have also been told (but have not been able to verify) that the federal courts are currently considering whether or not the Act will be put on the ballot anyway because of unconstutitional restraints on signature collections. Look for news on this here and elsewhere so you can educate other voters on the benefits of voting for the Act. 

The MDOC has begun limited prisoner transfers again. Apparently, prisoners who are transferred to other facilities have first been isolated for 14 days and been tested for the coronavirus in an effort to reduce the spread of the virus. At MTU the majority of prisoners who have transferred in have come from Jackson quarantine where all new prison admissions are processed. As far as I know, no other lateral transfers have taken place here. 

We have no news yet on the return of visits or volunteers to prison. While I'm sure the MDOC and the Michigan government are trying to determine the best time to reopen, the resurgence of coronavirus cases in many states will likely delay our return to normal operations. In the meantime, we are all still required to wear masks at all times (except in the shower or while eating). 

That's all the news for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here