Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Finding Moments of Serene Beauty in Prison

 We had our first snow for the year this week, although the ground is too warm for it to have stuck around (yet). I might be in the minority around here, but I think the snow is beautiful! It's the biting cold wind I don't like in the winter. 


The snow provides a bit of beauty in an environment starved for beauty. I happen to be in a prison that still has a few trees on the inside of the fence, so when the snow blankets the trees and covers the ground, it's serene and beautiful...for a little while. It doesn't take long before the snow is removed from walkways and trampled or driven over by corrections officers crossing the yard. The housing unit small yards are also cleared as prisoners make room for their workout routines. 

Snowball fights are prohibited in prison (it's "horseplay," which will earn you a misconduct ticket), and I've only seen a couple of small, lame attempts at snowmen. I'm sure that's not "cool" for hardened convicts to do. Enjoying winter sports is a non-starter in prison too. There are no slopes or trails to ski, and snow machines are out of the question.

With a plethora of free or slave-wage labor, most of the snow removal in prison occurs by hand. Yep, the old fashioned snow shovel. But the prison where I am currently housed also has snow blowers (which I don't recall seeing at the other three prisons where I've been). Only after a very heavy snow (a foot or more?) does the snow plow come out. Even in these cases though, much of the clean up occurs with snow shovels. It's a workout in itself that some prisoners really enjoy (definitely NOT me!).

When the cold hits and the snow flies, fewer prisoners are out on yard working out, walking the track, or hanging out. During our Covid restrictions, we have limited access to the gym, so it makes maintaining a regular workout routine difficult. But for the diehards who don't let the snow and cold stop them, there's less competition for workout space. 

Personally, I used to hate the winter, but in prison it's easier to put on clothes when you're cold than to get cool when it's hot. Prison housing units don't have air conditioning, so when it's in the 90s and very humid, it's impossible to get comfortable. I still don't like working out in the snow and especially the blowing cold wind, but I try to keep a regular routine nonetheless. For me, it's part of staying healthy--mind, body, and spirit. 

Another part of staying mentally and emotionally healthy is being able to pause and recognize the beauty of a snow-covered landscape. When so starved for beauty, it's essential for prisoners to take a moment to be grateful for that which razor wire fences cannot take away. I am grateful for these rare moments of serene beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here