Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Michigan Prisoners Assaulted -- by Heat and Humidity

On the walk back from breakfast this morning, fog lingered in patches around the prison. The air was heavy with dampness, but the relative coolness of the early morning was a brief reprieve from the coming heat and humidity. Today, it's supposed to be in the mid-90s (F) and a dew point above 70 degrees. In other words, it's an air conditioning day, only we don't have air conditioning in prison. 

Shortly after breakfast, I went outside for a walk. I normally work out in the morning, but the stickiness of the day had already started, and I decided a walk was enough today. Forty-five minutes later, I was flushed and sweating, just from walking. Others who were working out walked the track too, their shirts soaking wet with sweat. It's clearly going to be miserably hot and humid today. 

After my walk, I went to take a shower. That first rush of water, where the water has been cooling in the pipes, provided a brief rush of cool water. I let it hit me with its shocking coolness, because I knew it was the only coolness I'd feel all day. Prison showers often have their temperatures set, unable to be adjusted. If the weather is hot and humid, the water temperature is the same as if there's snow on the ground. It's a miserable way to shower in the heat. 

Still, a quick shower washes off the first wave of sweating for the day. It'll probably be a two shower day. Within a few hours, the heat of the day will have me sweating through my shirt as I lay in front of my small, 6" fan, just trying to keep from overheating. It makes me wonder how prisoners in states like Texas and Florida manage. I wonder if they have air conditioning? How else do they survive the heat? 

When the temperature is high enough, prison administrators issue a heat advisory. That means prisoners are not allowed to work out, including running. It's strange to me that an administrator should need to tell someone it's dangerous to work out when the heat is high enough, but some people don't have much sense. 

Normally, I'd be longing for the coolness of the evening, when the sun goes down and cool air provides a little refreshing breeze through the windows. Tonight, though, it's supposed to still be grossly muggy. I guess I'll just get used to being sluggish and sweaty for the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here