Monday, October 16, 2023

Michigan Prisoners Prepare for Careers with Mock Job Interviews

Another prisoner stands in the hallway, tucking his shirt in and readying himself before nervously entering the room. He strides in and extends his hand, gripping my hand firmly and introducing himself with his first name. I can tell he's been listening to my instructions. 

"How're you doing? I'm Bill," he says in greeting. 

I shake his hand with a smile and reply, "I'm Bryan. Thanks for coming in. Please, have a seat." 

We sit in plastic chairs across from each other, just five feet apart. He sits upright, plants his feet in front of him, and folds his hands on his lap. I can tell he's self-conscious of his hands, trying to avoid displaying signs of stress. He's struggling to appear relaxed, but naturally he's nervous. I'm conducting this mock job interview in front of other prisoners, and he knows at the end he will receive constructive criticism on what he did well and how to improve. 

Over the course of two days I have instructed these prisoners on the etiquette of job interviews. We covered basics, like finding a job, showing up on time, dressing appropriately, using appropriate language, and listening to what the interviewer really wants to know. We also cover basics of paralinguistics, the science of body language. It's not an exact science, but it's important for prisoners to know how and what their body communicates, especially since ex-cons are often thought of as aggressive. 

Teaching prisoners how to conduct productive job interviews, for me, is not just about teaching them the science of interviewing. It's also an opportunity for me to help other prisoners think deeply about themselves and how they think about and speak about their criminal past. I emphasize honesty and accountability throughout, a focus I also encourage them to take to their parole board interviews. 

As prisoners, we face large obstacles upon release from prison, whether it is obtaining employment or even finding housing that does not discriminate against criminal histories. My goal is to help other prisoners talk honestly about their histories and to learn how to articulate turning points and other strengths they have, despite their prior record. I call it "best foot forward opportunities." 

"Tell me a little about yourself," I say to Bill. It's a pretty straightforward question meant to relax the interviewee, but it stumbles a lot of prisoners. Some sound like they are writing a description for a dating app, while others key in on the real question: Who are you and will you be a good fit for this company? 

Bill stumbles through a brief introduction, settles in a bit, and does surprisingly well throughout the rest of the practice interview. I can see his confidence grow and his comfort rise as he finds himself doing better than he expected. 

After the interview, I ask Bill how he thinks he did, what he did well and what he can improve. Most prisoners are aware of their stumbles and areas they need to improve on. Not many talk about their strengths. When I ask the other prisoners, though, most start by saying something encouraging. 

"You did a great job!" or "I liked how you managed your body language." 

Occasionally, a prisoner forgets the positive part of constructive feedback and unleashes with negative feedback. It happens rarely, though. Most are afraid of the feedback they'll face, so they are encouraging, though honest. 

After five or six different practice interviews, we wrap up the class for the morning. 

"Great job, guys! I'm proud of you for having the courage to get up here and try. It's better to make your mistakes in here so you're even better prepared for the real thing. I appreciate all your feedback for each other. Good luck on your first interview."

The guys are gathering their things to leave when one raises his hand and asks, "So, would you hire us?" 

I smile at his question. 

"Yeah, of course!" I reply "Most of you anyway..." I leave my reply hanging for a second, and then teasingly add, "except for maybe you." 

He laughs good naturedly knowing I'm simply teasing. 

I leave, hoping the other prisoners found the information and exercise helpful. It feels great to use some of my previous business experience to help others find their own way to success. It feels great to know that I might have even a little part in helping these men turn the pages in their lives to something positive, productive, and different than their pasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here