Friday, November 24, 2023

Much to be Thankful for, Even in Prison?

 Thanksgiving is always a good time to think, more than usual, about what we are thankful for. But it's not the only time of year we ought to think about or even express thanks. 


Over the last nearly 15 years that I have been incarcerated, I have had many reasons to be thankful. I know, it sounds strange to hear, I'm sure. But I think I can reflect back with thankfulness, despite my incarceration. 

As much as I hate being in prison, I am grateful for the interruption incarceration provided to my destructive behavior. I was stuck in a pattern of behavior that needed interruption. I needed that distance and break from my real life in order to work on the issues driving my bad behavior. I didn't anticipate having to spend this much time in prison, but whatever God's reasons are for not intervening before now, I'm sure they are for my good. 

I'm also grateful for the incredible favor I've experienced in prison. For nearly fifteen years, God has protected me from violence, even when violence was all around me. I've also had decent jobs in prison. Though prison wages are pitifully low, in each prison where I've been housed, I've had a top paying job. God has provided for me, more than I deserve. I've also enjoyed mostly positive relationships with prisoners and staff. 

I'm grateful for the incredible opportunity I had to earn a bachelors degree in prison, from a well respected Christian university. I applied because I wanted to earn a bachelors degree, but I didn't expect to find such a loving and caring community in the process. The six years I spent involved in the Calvin Prison Initiative (www.calvin.edu/prisoninitiative) community was something I never expected to find in prison. I made some truly lifelong friends, and I experienced far greater blessings than I could have imagined in prison. 

The prison where I am now housed is not exactly ideal. However, even here, I have many things to be grateful for. I'm grateful, again, to have a decent and well-paying job (compared to most prison jobs, that is). I'm also housed in a single man cell, which is a HUGE blessing! Additionally, there is little violence or theft at this facility. I've heard of other level one prisons having far more violence and theft.  

Finally, I'm thankful that the prison phone rates went down again this year. Now it costs about $1.17 per call, when just a few years ago it was over $3 per call. That makes a big difference when I earn barely three dollars a day. I'm also thankful for the organizations working hard to get the good time legislation on the ballot next November. To all those who are helping with this endeavor, thank you!

Let's keep a thankful spirit throughout the year, and it'll help us combat all the negativity trying to destroy our peace, whether inside prison or out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here