Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Trying to Stay in Prison - Confessions of an Idiot

 This past week I heard another prisoner say something that not only astonished me but also infuriated me. He claimed, "I'm a smart criminal. I've never been caught for any of the crimes I've committed. I'm in prison because someone lied on me." 


I was furious with him because he had also just finished describing a crime he planned on committing when he left prison. Of course, he didn't believe it was a crime. He thought he was justified. 

The most astonishing part of it all was that this prisoner was not talking to another prisoner. He was saying these ridiculous things to a prison employee! I was within 10 feet of the conversation, and I wanted to shout, "You are CLEARLY not a smart criminal, you IDIOT!" 

I doubt this prisoner thought about that the fact that the employee he was speaking to was required to report things like what she heard from him. After that prisoner left, the prison employee later expressed concern about the prisoner's parole status. Apparently she knew the information he'd divulged might jeopardize the recent parole he'd received. 

This isn't the first stupid thing I've heard in prison, but it certainly ranks up pretty high. Admitting to a prison employee one's plans to commit another crime after leaving prison? Completely ludicrous.

More frustrating, though, is that this prisoner clearly had embraced a criminal mindset. After at least two years (probably more) in prison, he was still thinking about how to commit crimes, and he was reveling in getting away with his previous crimes. So much for the prison's investment in training this prisoner in a vocational trade. 

I should be used to entrenched criminal thinking since I'm surrounded by it. Perhaps it says more about my misplaced belief in humanity than about the state of the so called "brilliant" criminal minds around me. I honestly don't know why I still have a tendency to believe in people. I ought to have given up a long time ago. 

I guess it's a good thing that I still have some hope for even the most hopeless among prisoners. But some guys REALLY make it difficult for me to see a positive future for them. Delusional isn't even a strong enough word for some prisoners. 

But, you can't force prisoners (or anyone for that matter!) to change. One must want to change, or it'll never happen, or at least never stick. I hope this guy decides to change before he ruins his life or the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here