Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Stepping outside Myself

You know that summer is nearly here when you look around and see the courtyard basketball games drawing crowds of spectators, joggers running the track, and handball and softball games in full swing (yes, lame pun intended). And while for some it's all about just fun and games, for others it's a much needed distraction from the oppressive depression prison can bring. 

The activity might remind others of games played in the park at home, or family reunions, or church picnics, and so they avoid the pain of the missed good times by staying indoors or keeping to themselves. For me, I enjoy going outside and watching the activity, participating in some, but mostly investing in developing relationships with those God has put in my path for now. I'm not a socially outgoing person in general, but I've come to value relationships more than ever. 

I realize that people in our lives are not just characters in our play (comedy, tragedy...you decide), but people with stories. People with hurts, and needs. People with dreams and aspirations. People in need of healing and a kind word of encouragement. I don't always step outside of myself, but when I do I know that I'm being Jesus to others, and that is so rewarding!