Monday, May 19, 2014

Understanding Diversity

I had an interesting, and long, discussion with a couple of guys the other day in the prison library about philosophy, politics, and the impact of both on the different socio-economic segments of our society. 

As I sat there asking questions, making comments, and practicing 'Seek first to Understand, then to be Understood' (from Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People") it occurred to me that much of our differences were a result of our own unique experiences. Our goals and desires were much the same and even many of our philosophies, but our unique experiences have colored our views on how to achieve these goals. 


This prison experience has helped me to understand that many of the ideals I've held for years are sometimes held by others from other cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, but because of our different experiences our ideas of achieving these ideals often differ. I've come to value different opinions and to seek common ground with others I don't appear to have much in common with.

While society (and prison) seeks to divide by focusing on what separates each from the other, a few brave people can make a difference by looking for common ground and seeking to understand the experiences that make us different. Are you brave?