Monday, May 18, 2015

Telephone, Telegraph, Tell-a-Prisoner

The other day I was listening to a friend tell a story of when he first came to prison and how he was astounded at how quickly word spreads in prison. Another guy standing with us listening to the story said, 'Telephone, telegraph, tell-a-prisoner'. I found this very funny and ironically accurate. 

Women are often regarded by society as the primary carriers of gossip, but my experience in prison reveals that men are at least as likely,if not more likely, to whisper some juicy news they've heard. 

As is most gossip, I have found that prison gossip is usually very unreliable. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that 'good time' laws were passed (they weren't), that the parole board 'must' release '10,000' prisoners by such-and-such a time because of some lawsuit won (there was no suit), or that so-and-so is a rat (told by a guy who likely talks freely with the police himself). 

The fact is, gossip is rarely reliable. It might tell you some of the story, but not all of it, or it might be like that pass-the-message game we played as kids and get to you completely backwards. 


Now when I hear a rumor, I take the advice I was given shortly after coming to prison: Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here