Wednesday, January 5, 2022

New Year's Resolutions in Prison

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions, but for a "resolution" poetry contest at our prison facility, I thought through my intentions for the New Year. I don't know if it'll win any prizes or not, but I thought I'd share the poem with you. I hope you enjoy it. 

River Stone Faith

"Resolutions are meant to be broken"
The cynic dismissively claims.
"It's better to do than talk of doing;
New Year's resolutions are lame." 

To be resolute one is determined,
With firmness toward one's chosen goal. 
Steadfastly intentioned, faithfully true, 
Full devotion, body and soul.

Howe'er, firmness is sometimes one's problem, 
When he tries to hold back the tide,
The surging waves of dismay and sorrow, 
That pummel him from every side. 

'Tis better to be like a river stone, 
Whom the water flows right around. 
Accepting one's pain and sorrow with grace, 
No trace of resistance is found.

Graceful acceptance, my new intention. 
Resolute through broken desires.
Rough edges worn smooth by the pounding waves.
Anxious thoughts slowly retired.

Resolute faith is my resolution.
I believe that God's in control. 
He affords me His strength for resilience, 
Gives me peace, mind, body, and soul.

Without stress I'll be kinder to others, 
Just the way I'd like me to be. 
Even cynics and negative persons, 
Need positive models to see.

Although doubtful they're meant to be broken,
To keep resolutions is hard.
So, when my intentions falter, 

I'll heavily lean on the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here