Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Is Simply Surviving a Prison Assault Enough?

 For the last six years, I had been at a prison that was very focused on education and programs. Though prisoners used to refer to that prison as "Gladiator School," the entire prison population there had changed, and it was a fairly safe place to serve time. It had its problems, for sure, but fights and violence were uncommon. 


Yet, the day before I transferred to the prison where I am currently housed, a really violent assault occurred in my housing unit. It was the worst assault I had seen in nearly a decade. What's worse is that the person assaulted was a young guy I had been quietly encouraging to start making better choices with his life. 

His involvement with gangs and nefarious activities in prison was contrary to the goals he claimed to have for his life. He had already experienced a remarkable blessing, receiving a short five years for a crime that normally earned more than a decade in prison. But he still felt the pull towards what were poor decisions for his life. 

After the assault, the scene left me believing that he had been hurt really bad, perhaps even experiencing permanent disability. I prayed for him and worried for him, but leaving the next morning, I was in the dark as to his condition. 

So, imagine my surprise when I saw him in the housing unit yard next to mine, just a month after his attack! He was doing well, and recovering well from his injuries. Other than some permanent scars, he suffered no long-term injuries, a remarkable reality given the scene I'd observed. 

We had a good opportunity to talk, for me to encourage some major changes in his life, and for me to tell him how God must have His hand on his life. I also expressed my relief, knowing that he is doing okay.

The reality is that these kinds of assaults are fairly common in some prisons, and many of them are gang related. Sadly, gang life does not end at the prison gates. In fact, some prisoners actually believe that joining a gang in prison will keep them safer. As my friend discovered, that's simply not the case. I would argue that, in fact, it increases one's danger. 

These are complex decisions for young people in dangerous circumstances, so I don't condemn their choices. But I do wish they believed there were better options. I don't know if this assault will change the course of my friend’s life, but I hope it does. He has too much potential to sacrifice it to prison cliches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here