Thursday, September 6, 2012

Earnest Expectations


Hope is an interesting word. We often think of hope as a desire, wishful thinking, or an anticipation of something that might happen. I hope I get a new job. Or I hope my kids do well in school. Or I hope I make it to my appointment on time. 

I was watching Dr. David Jeremiah on TV today and he defined hope differently. In spiritual terms, hope is more of an earnest expectation. There's no room for doubt. There are no maybes or what-ifs. Hope is a belief, a faith, that a promise will be fulfilled. There's not necessarily a knowledge of when, or how, but a firm belief that in fact what you're 'hoping' for will be.

It's interesting to me the relationship between faith and hope though, because the bible says that 'hope that is seen is not hope.'

So, what's the difference really between faith and hope then? Aren't they essentially the same thing?

I think faith is the 'legs' of hope. The bible says that "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1) 'Substance' here is the essence or reality. It's what makes you act on your hope. It's what keeps you from sitting back waiting for things to happen. It's what makes you go out and 'do' in the strength of your hope. 

So what are you hoping for? And is your hope wishful thinking or an earnest expectation? What you do with your hope will likely define what type of hope it is.