Friday, September 28, 2012

What's Your Vision?

I just finished reading Ken Blanchard's book 'Full Steam Ahead.' It's an excellent book about unleashing the power of vision in your company and your life. 

Although I think it's a great idea, I recognize that not everyone is going to write out and frame a vision statement or mission statement for their life. But shouldn't we all have a vision for our life? The bible says that 'My people perish for lack of vision.' 

I don't think it's necessarily saying you literally die if you have no vision, but without a vision, are you really living?I've written before about living life on purpose. This purpose and vision go hand-in-hand. Purpose defines your reason for living. It answers the question, "Why?" rather than just explaining what you do.

You can't have a clear purpose without clearly defined values. As Blanchard defines it, "Values are deeply held beliefs that certain qualities are desirable. They define what is right or fundamentally important to each of us. They provide guidelines for our choices and actions."

Purpose is important because it explains "why" and values are important because they explain "how." They answer how you'll behave on a day-to-day basis to accomplish your purpose.

Your vision should give you a clear picture of the future, but should not be goal-specific. It's about being, not doing.Vision is knowing who you are, where you're going, and what will guide your journey.

You might think that being in prison sort of dampens one's outlook on the future. Sort of clouds your vision, so to speak. And it can, if you let it. Some months ago I wrote in Calligraphy and posted the following on my wall: "Learn from the Past, Live in the Present, Plan for the Future."Although I realize it's not unique, I was shocked to read nearly these exact words in Blanchard's book. 

Had I clearly defined my values and my purpose and lived my life ON purpose, I wouldn't be where I am today. Although I'm here now, I can still define my values and purpose and set a vision for my life. I'm determined to live the rest of my life on purpose. So, what's your vision?