Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Environmental Responsibility

I've never considered myself an environmentalist, but I'm probably on the conscientious side of the spectrum. I've always found it frustrating that recycling hasn't become the norm. It seems like a no-brainer to me. I've also found unnecessary waste to be stupid, clear-cut logging to be irresponsible, over-fishing to be short-sighted, and industrial pollution criminal.

I also believe fracking for natural gas is dangerous and should be banned until more studies have been conducted to determine its effect on ground water and other environmental factors.


The environmental impacts of prisons is a lot greater than you might think. The paper-waste is astounding, the electrical waste just plain stupid, and the water-waste frightening. With diminishing reserves of fresh water and the hundreds of millions of people without access to clean water around the world, it's hard to not be chagrined when at 6AM I walk into the bathroom, when only a handful of people are up, to see five of seven faucets turned on high (not being used) for no apparent reason. This is not an uncommon occurrence. Faucets with automatic shut-offs after 30 seconds would solve this problem, but that would require forward-thinking: something the DOC is not known for.


Prison inmates have no desire or motivation to save the DOC money, and you'd be hard pressed to find five out of one-thousand inmates or officers that care about the environment. It's time for government to start leading the way in environmental responsibility.