Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Power of the Tongue

I heard a great message today that included the verse, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue."

I know that I have been guilty of saying rash things in the heat of anger, not realizing how damaging they are at the time. What's worse? We often direct our most hurtful tirades against those we hold most dear. 


But what about speaking other things? We give power to things by speaking them. Sort of like self-fulfilling prophesies. Things like, "I'll never find another job as good as the one I lost", or My relationship is beyond repair." 


What we speak is a reflection of our thoughts. Whether directed at others ("You'll never amount to anything!", "You never do this or that"), or at ourselves or our circumstances ("I'll never succeed", "Maybe I'm just meant to be alone").


Emerson said, "The ancestor of every action is a thought." I would say that thoughts are ancestors of our words too.


The Apostle James said that our mouths should not be used for both blessing and cursing. 


So today you're faced with the same decision made by the ancient Israelites.  God said, "Today I place before you a blessing and a curse." He left it to them to choose. So, you too are left with a choice. Will you bring a blessing on yourself and others or will you choose a curse?  The power is in your tongue.