Tuesday, February 26, 2013

People Watching

I've always found it fascinating to watch people. Not in a voyeuristic way, but in an observatory sort of intrigue. I remember sitting in the Oakbrook Mall years ago just watching rich people shop at Tiffany's, Lord and Taylor, and Neimen Marcus. I think my fascination with psychology drove me to try to understand what made these people tick. Interestingly enough, I observed a lot of highly stressed, unhappy people toting bags of "therapy" adorned with logos of prestige. As if the very act of shopping could lessen their sense of hopelessness. I suppose for some it did, at least temporarily. But I digress...

People watching is no longer just an interesting diversion for me. In prison people watching may mean the difference between life and death. It is absolutely necessary to not only be observant of your surroundings, but to watch people and the changes in their behaviors in order to avoid being caught in the middle of violence or drama.


In prison someone you might laugh and joke with one day can turn on you the next. Your only chance for avoiding these situations is to watch people and stay vigilant at all times. This environment will make you super-sensitive to people's ever-changing moods.