Monday, March 17, 2014

Paying it Forward

The facility I'm at has a program designed for young guys, most of whom are facing release within a year or two. As a part of that program the facilitators (older, respected inmates) teach them things like how to fill out a resume, how to apply for and interview for a job, critical thinking skills, and other skills that will help reduce the likelihood of their reoffending.

I was given the opportunity to participate in the job interview by posing as an emploer, and then a couple of weeks later I posted as a parole board member to do 'mock' parole interviews. the goal of both the job and the parold interviews was to prepare them with practice and feedback. Of course, I enjoyed doing both types of interviews, but the best part was in giving feedback. Not all the guys took it seriously. Some thought it was a laugh-worthy practice, but others took it very seriously and really wanted to know what they could do to improve. 

The most rewarding thing of all for me was in identifying one guy in particular who I saw a lot of potential in and taking the time to pull him aside later and share with him my thoughts. as I've mentioned before, men in prison are by and large, dealing with major self-esteem issues. I don't know, maybe it's more common even outside of prison than I previously thought, but I believe many of the guys in prison are dealing with such negative self-talk, and liging up to the expectations so many had of them (they'd never amount to anything) that they can't see the value they have as a person.

I believe it's our responsibility, whether in prison or not, to help those that God puts in our path. So many people don't see the value they have and whether that translates to criminal behavior, psychological issues, poor grades in school, damaged relationships, or however it manifests, it falls on us to make a difference where we are.

Someone said that ignorance is when we react exclusively to our own projections rather than simply seeing what is there. It's our responsibility to help others change their projections of themselves. 

Who can you encourage today?