Thursday, August 14, 2014

Developing Intrinsic Motivation

I've been enjoying co-facilitating an introduction to psychology class as part of our college prep curriculum in the College Program at our facility. I find it very satisfying to help others learn, but especially to help them learn something that will transform their lives in a positive way. 

Many of the inmates who are taking this psychology class have participated in rehabilitation-based classes as well. When they learn the psychology behind some of their past choices, and they connect this knowledge with what they've learned before about themselves, you can see a light come on in their understanding. 

Most prisoners end up in prison because they failed to develop or foster intrinsic (internal) motivators to avoid breaking the law. Their love for, or obsession with, money, drugs, or women was stronger than their desire to remain a law-abiding citizen.


By developing and feeding the proper intrinsic motivators (love for God and family, a desire for providing for one's self and family, a hunger for education, and a commitment to be a good example for the next generation, among other things), these inmates are empowering themselves for future success. 


For me, leaving a legacy of even one life changed drives me to help me who don't know how to help themselves. And in the process, I'm strengthening my own intrinsic motivators and healing my own brokenness.